E-Commerce & Marketing Intern
What is a PrimeMeTee?
In psychology, a "prime" is anything that triggers a thought in your mind, and these shirts are designed to remind you exactly who you are at just the right moment... when you see your own reflection. Some look more abstract, while others are obviously coded messages, but all of them are “primes” meant to make a more uplifting reflection.
The E-Commerce & Marketing Intern supports the creation and maintenance of the online storefront, identifies relevant target audiences for specific primes and designs, develops draft promotional content, and communicates with partners and potential customers. This will include creating products in the Shopify-based platform, conducting online market research, maintenance of a database of contact information, planning outreach schedules, and utilizing website analytics data to track success and refine strategy.
We want to make sure that it is clear to you how this internship can contribute to your academic and career development. Success in this position means that you will be better prepared to do a number of things.
Scholarly Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the psychological research supporting the utilization of primes (subliminal and supraliminal) to influence affect, behavior, and cognition.
- Articulate the effect that mirrors have on self-awareness, and how activating the self-concept has been shown in experiments to influence decisions and behavior in a wide range of contexts.
Professional Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate exceptional communication strategies and skills in a variety of situations.
- Provide evidence of experience with target market analysis and database maintenance to facilitate outreach and strategic promotions.
- Develop research skills with methodologies commonly used in marketing, including the design, execution, and analysis of focus group testing.
This internship requires an average of 10 weekly, regularly-scheduled hours during the spring semester. Work can be accomplished remotely provided reliable access to a computer, internet connection, and an effective working environment. Regular check-ins will take place by video conference, and hours can be adjusted to accommodate other commitments.
Is this paid or for course credit?
That's up to you. Those who wish to earn course credit can pursue that with their institution and we are happy to support the process. Alternatively, interns can earn a commission on sales connected to their marketing efforts. We are happy to discuss the options and help you decide which is best for you.
Candidates who are close fits with the position's responsibilities will be invited for a video conference interview. From your application materials and our meeting, we are looking for evidence of:
- Professional goals that align with the experience to be gained from this internship. We want to create an opportunity that will advance you, and be able to attest in a letter of recommendation to your critical professional skills.
- Outstanding communication skills, both in person and in writing. You will be preparing content for a range of audiences, and the first impression you create will determine their perception of the brand and concept.
- Advanced understanding of social media platforms. You will be doing more than simply posting pictures and linking to others online, so you need to be knowledgable about options for paid ads, what kind of data a platform's "insights" provide, and the posted policies for conducting promotions (e.g., contests, giveaways).
- Excellent interpersonal skills. You will be engaging online, over the phone, and in person with a diverse range of people, so you need to be able to be outgoing and build rapport quickly.
- Relevant professional experience and academic coursework. Please clarify in your cover letter the most relevant courses you have taken, how what you have learned applies to this internship, and what if any other experiences contribute to your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Bonus Points - It is not a requirement for this internship, but special consideration will be given to candidates who are proficient with Shopify storefronts and/or Adobe PhotoShop.
Email, as an attachment, a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes all of the following:
- A cover letter addressing your interest, qualifications, and professional goals.
- Your resume.
- The name and contact information of two professional references that know you well and and can give detailed examples of how your strengths are evident in your work.
Please submit your application by January 21 for best consideration.
You... Yes, You!
Everyone gets an equal opportunity to be uplifting! All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran, disabled status, or anything that really has nothing to do with the job. Students from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply... if you're proud of who you are (and you should be), we'd be proud to work with you!